HistoryThe first Catholic Church established in Middletown was St. John Church in 1852. By the year 1903 it was estimated that 850 Catholic families resided in "South Farms," the southern end of Middletown. On October 4th of that year, Bishop Michael Tierney of Hartford announced the establishment of the new parish of St. Francis to serve this area along with the towns of Durham and Middlefield.
The first pastor, Rev. Patrick McGivney, was the brother of Fr. Michael McGivney, the founder of the Knights of Columbus. He presided over the building of the new church at a cost of $27,000. On November 4th , 1904, the Church was dedicated. Since then, a total of nine pastors have served at St. Francis. First Notre Dame Church in Durham, and then St. Colman Church in Middlefield, became separate parishes. Today, in an age of great spiritual challenges and possibilities, St. Francis of Assisi Parish is the spiritual home to approximately 800 Catholic households in our area.